Friday, September 30, 2005

How 'bout that ever elusive kudo

So we're near the end of Caleb's first week off. In accordance with the prophecy, he's well on his way to completing many of the tasks on his list and I have barely started mine. And by that I mean that I've barely started making my list. This is the difference between a first-born son and a baby princess/middle daughter. He is patient with me though and I am grateful. When you're single, you imagine what married life will be like. Sometimes you're right but most of the time it ends up being totally different that what you expected.... And interestingly enough, this is a GOOD thing. Sending my husband out to Home Depot for much needed supplies to complete a project and insisting that he take the baby so that I can take a shower and then finding out that the backyard needs to be mowed and raked first, all the while trying to get packed for a weekend at the beachhouse that may or may not happen depending on how much gets done around the house... These are the scenarios that did NOT occur to me in daydreaming about wedded bliss, but they remind me that we are a team. We don't get props for coordinating our day so that every item on the to-do list gets a 'check', but we get the joy of knowing that putting someone else's needs before our own creates harmony. I'm working on this virtue, and still have a LONG way to go.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so true...you're never ready for what its really like. But what its really like is soooo much better than all the tritely senimental things that you imagine as "marriedness". In marriage, there is so much more magic in singing the same song than there could ever be in listening to a operatic solo.

Anonymous said...

I liked your post! There’s something very rewarding about working together as a team. Most might not consider it “wedded bliss,” but there’s great comfort and satisfaction in working together on those everyday obstacles. It’s what life is all about, and I’m glad to have Nathan by my side, and us doing them together. :)