Wednesday, March 14, 2007

time keeps moving from a crawl to a run...

A few weeks ago I went to Dallas for a conference with my Mom and sisters... Since my grandparents live in Ft. Worth, my Dad drove the rest of my siblings up from San Antonio and I got to see all of them in one place for a couple days. It was good. I'm not sure how long its been since just the 11 of us spent some time together (or if it'll ever happen again) but gosh it was great to be a family again for a day. Dad took us all out to Pancho's Mexican buffet (famous for their fabulous sopapillas) and even though there wasn't a table big enough to accommodate the whole group, it was a great time of laughing and reacquainting. I sat with Nathan, Shelley, Aubrey, Timothy, and Bethany, and I don't think I've laughed that hard in a long time. We took turns quoting lines from "The Office" until our sodas were in danger of spewing from our noses. Gross, I know. But it made for good memories. I realized sitting at that table that I hardly know my little brother Tim. He takes Tai-kwon-do, is a pickier eater than I am, and is way taller than he has any right to be. It seems like yesterday he was a one-year-old and I was carrying him around everywhere - we shared a room and I fed him all his meals. Now he's 10 and loves to sword-fight. Where have all these years gone?? Now I'm a real mom with my own baby, and time moves even faster. There are sweet moments with Erin when I think "I'm gonna remember this forever" and a few days later I can hardly recall the circumstances... life goes on and we're too busy living it to document everything. But there are moments with my daughter and husband that I will remember forever, pictures or not. And I'll always remember the weekend in Dallas with my family. It WAS good.

5 comments:

Kristen said...

What a short, simple little lunch we had that day, and I can hardly think of it without crying. We have the best family ever.

Nic Ridley said...

I love the family picture!

RYC: I don't know about that, Mom was horrified, said I never looked worse! lol!

Cottle Clan Dobermans said...

I am so glad to have gotten to see you! I am also glad you had this chance. Loved the post, made me smile.

Papa said...

Those few hours with all 9 of our children (three w/ children of their own!) was precious. Several times I just sat back and watched them interact (#1 w/ #4; #3 w/ #9; #5 w/ #7; #2 w/ #7 and #8...then a random jumble would take place and a different combination took its place). I was reminded again of the joy each of them has been to us and how collectively they are so much more than the 9 individuals. When I consider how God has directed our paths to intersect w/ three Godly young men who have become husbands to our three oldest daughters and fathers to our grandchildren, I stand in awe of God's gracious provision and faithfulness. We wait expectantly for those other three men that are even now being prepared for us and for those three lovely handmaidens of the Lord who are waiting for my sons to be led their way. And while we wait we will enjoy the moments together...when we can.

shelley said...

"He put my stapler in Jello again!"