Thursday, October 11, 2007

round here we're carving out our names...

I've got to get better about updates! Last month seemed to fly by and this month is shaping up to be the same - too bad the pregnancy doesn't seem to go as fast ;-) I'm now 31.5 weeks and counting down. I've gone from feeling like it will never end to wondering if I have enough time to get my pre-baby checklist done! I also don't feel prepared AT ALL to be a mom to 2 children and feel overwhelmed just at the thought... I got so lucky with Erin in so many ways (perfect nurser from day one, born with perfect circadian rhythm, etc) that I'm bracing myself for a real challenge this time. I figure pessimism will prepare me for the worst, and if I'm wrong I'll be pleasantly surprised :-)

Last month we made it to a VT game (well, to Blacksburg anyway - go Hokies!!) with Caleb's family, went to Bethany Beach for a fun/relaxing weekend with friends, and got another home improvement project completed. This month we've been to a Redskins game and already (probably prematurely) carved our Halloween pumpkins (pics to follow soon). This weekend we'll head to a local vineyard for a chili and wine tasting festival with some friends.

The weather has finally turned cool, although for how long I'm not sure. But we're enjoying it while it lasts and look forward to having open windows and a break from running the A/C.

Erin continues to push the boundaries AND still surprise us with her capacity for absorbing new information. These last few weeks she has mastered the sounds of all consonants and the short vowel sounds. I'm still trying to decide whether I should spring for teaching her to read, but then what fun would first grade be? :-) And there's also the other matter of worrying that we'll be sending her off to school still wearing diapers... Despite a great attitude and willingness to sit on the potty for hours on end, she still doesn't seem to be getting the concept of 'letting go' while up there. Ah well, we'll try again closer to 3. I don't see myself coping well with a newborn and a semi-potty-trained toddler!

That's it here, all else is quiet on the eastern front.

4 comments:

Granny said...

Nope, BTDT with the newborn and a semi-pottytrained toddler. It's a sure prescription for involuntary commitment to an institution. And not one of higher learning ;-)

Good choice.

the mccann clan said...

Congratulations (a bit late) on the pregnancy - I didn't know! :) Can't wait to see this new little one... so many new babies in the works! ;) Take care of yourselves!

Nic Ridley said...

Yay you updated! Now see...that wasn't too hard. =)

The Fox Den said...

I hear you with potty-training... I'm dreading Abe's turn. It was fantastic seeing you last month! Erin is to cute!