Monday, October 24, 2005

To one thing constant never.

I'm a last minute person. Several months ago I had highlights added to my dull brown hair and now they're grown out and I'm tired of them.... So for some insane reason I decided that Sunday morning (when we were already running late and there was no time for anything unnecessary) would be the perfect time to dye my hair. I had a box of plain brown that looked about my color, so I grabbed it and headed to the shower where I took more than my share of hot water waiting for the dye to take hold. Upon rinsing, towel-drying and brushing, I came to realize that the brown was much TOO brown and a whole lot darker than I had intended. But I'm an optimist, so I decided to use this as a teaching moment for my beloved husband. I promptly dried and styled my hair, trimmed my bangs and went in search of the poor soul who had no idea that he was beat before he even opened his mouth. The following conversation ensued:

Anne: "Do you notice anything different about me, honey?"
Caleb (glancing all over, but mostly at my clothes): "Hmmm...."
Anne (only slightly impatient): "No honey, above the neck."
Caleb (with mild trepidation showing through and looking intently at my face): "Hmmmm..."
Anne (really impatient): "No honey, AROUND my face!"
Caleb (just downright scared and frantically scanning my hair): "Oh, did you cut your hair?"
Anne (deflated, and knowing that he was partially right but choosing to ignore it, because its the principle that counts): "NO, I DYED IT - ITS DARKER!!!"
Caleb (just relieved that its over): "Oh yes it looks good!"

Caleb marched straight into the bathroom to brush his teeth and discovered my hair clippings in the trash... At that point my lesson was lost as he rejoiced (foolishly) over having guessed the "right" answer.

So much for optimism.

3 comments:

Nic Ridley said...

LOL - that's hilarious. Weird thing is, I've never been able to get away with anything with Chris...in fact, he has pulled that stunt on me before, and I usually do not notice a thing. Last time he did that, he had trimmed his goatee. He came to me and asked me if I noticed anything different. I couldn't figure out what he had done. hee hee

Anonymous said...

i can't believe you still trust yourself to cut bangs...

Kristen said...

Now if Caleb was "studying" his wife constantly and consistently as he should, uncomfortable moments like this one would be completely avoidable. Let that be a lesson to you, Caleb (and Dave).